Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have decided between the XP 550 or 850. My question is the 550 pretty comparable in power to the Grizzly 700? I was told by a dealer who sells Polaris and Yamaha that the 550 is pretty close to the Grizzly in motor etc. and the 850 will just walk away from it. I don't want to buy the 550 and find it to be under powered.

I have currently found a slightly used 2013 XP LE 550 EPS (blue) with 10 hrs and 78 miles for $7000 out the door. I have also found a 2013 550 and 850 XP (non EPS) for $6400 otd (550) and $7500 otd (850). Let me know what you guys think.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
If power is your thing, better forget about the 550 and look at the 850. The 550 really doesn't compare to the 700 Grizzly. The Grizzly is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the XP with more power. If you have any concerns about feeling underpowered, the 850 will never give you that feeling, where as the 550 likely would.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If power matters to you at all get the 850! After having EPS I cant go back. So I say wait and get a 850 w/eps and you will be a happy camper for sure.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Almost forgot, NEVER trust anything a dealer says to you ever!!!! Saying a 550 is almost like a Grizzly 700 is proof of that! The 2014 850 LE with the Fox shocks looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Almost forgot, NEVER trust anything a dealer says to you ever!!!! Saying a 550 is almost like a Grizzly 700 is proof of that! The 2014 850 LE with the Fox shocks looks pretty cool.
The 550 will be close to the grizz 700 power wise, but will ride a lot better. The new 570 is handing it to them too.

The Japanese are not one to lead the power wars, they prefer reliability.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
When pop and I bought our machines. He chose the new 550. I chose a three year old 700 with very lo miles. Dealer said they would be equal... NOT.

Now if all you do is tooling along down a trail at 15-20 mph. ALL MACHINES ARE EQUAL! But stab that throttle and things change! The 550 is no slow poke but it will not pull like my 700 and my 700 will not pull like a 850. All three leave a 500 eating trail dust.

All are big heavy machines. Comparing to nap machines that have a weight limit is not a fair comparison.

Only you know what you will do with your machine. Top speed sure seems cool, top power sells machines for certain. But will you need it, probably not. Can you afford it only you know. Do you have to one up your buddies? Again, only things you can answer.

You me took it in your subject line... Maybe a Freudian slip. But another good option is a 800. These are proven motors with great power only trailing the 850 for power and acceleration. Can be had in the economy line too saving dollars. They will smoke ANT 500,550 or 570 as well as most 600 or 700 machines. Get good and accustomed to it and beat the 850 if the other guy is not so experienced too!

CW

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would find it very hard to pass up powersteering or the XP's lack of bump steering. Both add greatly to your trail riding experience and pleasure.

When bump steering is eliminated, you're much less tired/beat up after riding. Without bump steering, it's simply a much nicer ride. Way better.

Get an XP or a machine with power steering. Better yet, get an XP with power steering.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A 500 is faster than a 550, off the showroom floor. I wouldn't trade my ride and looked for a value line, but just because it has a 50cc gain, doesn't mean it will walk on a 500.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
A 500 is faster than a 550, off the showroom floor. I wouldn't trade my ride and looked for a value line, but just because it has a 50cc gain, doesn't mean it will walk on a 500.

You're the second person here that says this but I have raced several with my 500 and never won (they weren't that far ahead though). The 500 is a little quicker off the line but the 550s always pull away from me. Maybe there's something wrong with my 500 :thinking:

To the op, if you don't want to be disappointed with lack of power, get the 850. I got mine for $9000 + tax and its the LE. They had non eps 850s for under $8000 although after having EPS I would never go without it.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

Im not pissin' in your Cheerios my friend. There is quicker and there is faster. If your is quicker you got a good one!!

In our group we have 2 500's. A 2011 and a 2004, two 550's a 2010 and 2013 my 07, 700 and a '13 850. I already explained the hierarchy. ;)

If your 500 is quicker then the 550's you ride with, thats great. But its not the norm. The 500 is a sub 40HP engine while the 550 is about 43/44 HP. Both machines are near identical weight wise. No alot of difference, but combined with the 550's improved clutching, the simple fact is that the 550 is a more powerful motor and will again speeds quicker.
Now top speed, IE "faster" in a WOT or flat out over flat ground its possible the 500 is faster. That's also a result of CVT clutching and gearing. Not so much engine power.

CW

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't have a 500, I have a 550, and my buddies 500 pulls away every time we play around on long straights. Maybe he got a freak and I got a lazy one.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I don't have a 500, I have a 550, and my buddies 500 pulls away every time we play around on long straights. Maybe he got a freak and I got a lazy one.

:lmao: it's certainly possible. I don't doubt your story, I've heard a few other guys say the same exact thing too.

I think my 500 is lazy sometimes, but after stepping off the 850 everything feels like a dog :cool: I re-clutched the 500 now so I can't really compare it to a 550 anymore since I lost some top end (still goes around 52 mph by GPS). I added a few cool stickers though and those always add HP :D

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Find a leftover '13 850 with EPS give it a ride as soon as you touch the throttle you will be smiling. The power the sound, it doesn't compare. My buddy a long time Polaris rider has a 550 non EPS. I let him take mine for a spin and he is sold. To be able to ride 1 handed where most people gotta grip 2 handed is a weird feeling and makes it difficult to transition back to my 500 but is hands down the cats ass. The power these make are way smooth and makes a nice grunty sound. If you can afford to spring for one you won't regret it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My 550 is a dog. I do have 26.5 rockers on mine and a clutch kit. My buddies 420 rancher says neck and neck with me up until about 30mph and he is a big dude.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
My 550 is a dog. I do have 26.5 rockers on mine and a clutch kit. My buddies 420 rancher says neck and neck with me up until about 30mph and he is a big dude.
LOL. Yes I'm talking stock machines with 500/550.

Back when I had my quad sport I blew out the rear tires on a bottle someone threw in a mud pit. I replaced the 21" with 25" Wolly Boogers. This was a manual clutch machine. I was much slower than my cousins with same machines. But as we got to about 30 or so I walked right away from them. The larger tire simply covers more ground per revolution. Simple physics. :) top speed for those machines was about 40 I was able to hit 45 clocked with a truck speedo. (LONG before GPS) ;)

CW

·
Registered
234 Posts
I own a 2013 550 and an 2011 850
The 550 does well once the rpms are up. the 850 has torque and power. I am 300lbs and i never climb hills in low gear. The 850 can pull away anytime.

On a ride the 550 is a little miserly on gas but not so much that it would be a deal breaker.

Get power steering and get an 850!

After all, Polaris wouldn't have made it if they wanted us to keep riding 550s.

I second the statement. NEVER BELIEVE A DEALER. They all lie and none ride!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just went through this very same deal I sold my grizzly 700 I bought an 850 and then traded it for 550. I am happy with my last tradeI won't go back. I'm very happy with the 550 it has plenty of power to go where I want to go and we'll even go places in 2 wheel drive that required four wheel drive on my 850 I don't know why I know it makes no sense but that's the way it works for where I ride.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm very happy with the 550 it has plenty of power to go where I want to go and

Happy with my 550 as well. I think HP is about the same as my 700 but 550 feels somewhat faster.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'm very happy with the 550 it has plenty of power to go where I want to go and

Happy with my 550 as well. I think HP is about the same as my 700 but 550 feels somewhat faster.
They are pretty close advertised as 42/44 compaired to 47/49. But in our case the 700 has more grunt, we can feel the torque with the 700 it just ould smoother and harder. A couple times pop and I opened them up side by side. The 700 always is out front. After about 50 the 550 is outa steam and the 700 really pulls away up to the mid 60's. Up to 45/50 mph, it creeps ahead. Before my clutch kit they came off the line pretty close but the 700 had just a bit more. After the kit, the 700 jumps to a quad and a half lead and never looses ground just keeps Slowly pulling away.

For average riding, I agree they are pretty close. (DON'T tell pop I said that)

CW

1 - 20 of 28 Posts