Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone else noticed that you get fuel in your motor oil?
I recently changed the motor oil and have run the machine for about 7 hours after and now there is fuel in my motor oil. It now smells like pure gasoline instead of motor oil. Is this normal on these machines?
It's a new machine and have only about 40 hours on it so I find this a bit strange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem on my 07 500 Sportsman i called the dealer and they wanted to know if i had the quad upside down, they say fuel can get into the oil some how like that, or they said it could be a injector problem cracked seal or pluged. also i would check the air breather to see if it got pluged up some how this can also do that ( from what the dealership said) . hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
take it to your dealer for warrenty if your still under it. you can wreck your engine with your oil being diluted with gas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your quick replies. The machine is only 5 months old so warrenty should be no problem. :)
I thought so to but I had to ask cause when I mentioned this to my dealer he said that this could be a result of running the machine for short distances. Like as if it was normal...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like youre washing down the cylinders....over-fueling badly! I'm an ATV novice, but do know a little about hot rods. I fouled my plugs with 10 hours on my 850XP because of running it for about 100 ft and then shutting it off during cold weather. They have issues with running rich until they warm up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sounds like youre washing down the cylinders....over-fueling badly! I'm an ATV novice, but do know a little about hot rods. I fouled my plugs with 10 hours on my 850XP because of running it for about 100 ft and then shutting it off during cold weather. They have issues with running rich until they warm up.
That's what I have been trying to tell the dealer ever since I got the machine but they say that there is nothing wrong. And that there is no data on how much fuel these machines consume. But since we have brought up this question maybe you can tell me how much fuel XP machines consume in when you drive in terrain. Last time my machine consumed 9 liters (about 2,38 US gallons) after 4.5 hours (a total distance of 28 kilometers (17 miles)) in the terrain. So yes, in my opinion over-fueling ALOT...

·
Registered
673 Posts
some dealers you have to keep after. Just seems they like to make the sale and thats it. I switched, great service now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It could be as simple as a bad temp sensor or TPS sensor...... these sensors control the air fuel ratio.

I would go to the dealer right away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's what I have been trying to tell the dealer ever since I got the machine but they say that there is nothing wrong. And that there is no data on how much fuel these machines consume. But since we have brought up this question maybe you can tell me how much fuel XP machines consume in when you drive in terrain. Last time my machine consumed 9 liters (about 2,38 US gallons) after 4.5 hours (a total distance of 28 kilometers (17 miles)) in the terrain. So yes, in my opinion over-fueling ALOT...
I just can't believe you havent fouled the plugs to the point that it wont run. It only took once for mine to foul so badly that I was stranded! I really can't tell you what fuel mileage mine gets. I havent checked it yet, but it seems to be fairly efficient...or maybe it's just that it has a huge tank!

·
Registered
163 Posts
definitly drop it at the dealer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts