Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So over the weekend I installed my winch onto my '09 XP 850. The winch and everything installed real nice and wiring was all pretty simple. Everything went well until I went to put the silver metal front back one. I couldn't get it to swivel up high enough to put the top bolts back in. I noticed the bent flange of the cross piece was hitting where the fairlead is mounted to the winch mount bracket. (I'll post pictures incase you don't know what I'm talking about) To make a long story short I found I had left a little play in the top botls on the back bracket, so that took up about half the distance needed, then I had to bend the top of the cross brace on the metal bracket down to get the rest of the room.

Now if I was to take the winch off you would never noticed I bent it but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it?

Auto part Vehicle Tire Bumper Wheel

P.S. I also have a question about the winch but I'll put that in a new thread.

·
Registered
421 Posts
is the winch mount upside down? iv seen sportsmans like that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it wasn't upside down, at least not according to the instructions.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I just got my mount and winch, it looks like a good winter project!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha well good luck with it. Let's hope it all goes really smooth for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So over the weekend I installed my winch onto my '09 XP 850. The winch and everything installed real nice and wiring was all pretty simple. Everything went well until I went to put the silver metal front back one. I couldn't get it to swivel up high enough to put the top bolts back in. I noticed the bent flange of the cross piece was hitting where the fairlead is mounted to the winch mount bracket. (I'll post pictures incase you don't know what I'm talking about) To make a long story short I found I had left a little play in the top botls on the back bracket, so that took up about half the distance needed, then I had to bend the top of the cross brace on the metal bracket down to get the rest of the room.

Now if I was to take the winch off you would never noticed I bent it but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it?

View attachment 49

P.S. I also have a question about the winch but I'll put that in a new thread.
I have an 09 850 also and am looking into a winch and not sure which mount to get. Also, I have heard that the sportsman comes pre-wired for a winch. Was your's pre-wired or did you have to run the wires?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 2009 XPs were prewired (blue and yellow) for a winch. The battery is toward to the rear of the machine. In 2010, they moved the battery toward the front and the need for prewiring went away. It's about a 12" cable run now, very easy.

Mount depends a little on which winch you buy. Most will include a mount if you buy a package deal. If not, the Viper mount is solid and the KFI mount has a good rep too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 2009 XPs were prewired (blue and yellow) for a winch. The battery is toward to the rear of the machine. In 2010, they moved the battery toward the front and the need for prewiring went away. It's about a 12" cable run now, very easy.

Mount depends a little on which winch you buy. Most will include a mount if you buy a package deal. If not, the Viper mount is solid and the KFI mount has a good rep too.
Thanks for the info. I went with the Viper Elite 4500lb and purchased it as a kit with the mount for the 09 850. Hopefully installation will be easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts