Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on a hunting trip last week. On the first day, 6.5 miles from camp, my 09 550 XP just died while traveling about 20 mph. I was able to isolate that it was not a spark issue. I spent most of the day getting back to my truck and retrieving the XP. No Codes generated.

Back at camp, I took a hammer handle and rapped it on the top of the fuel pump cap. The XP started right up and went about 1/2 mile and died. I rapped it again and it started again for about a 1/4 mile. a couple more times the same.. It seems I have isolated that something in the pump is sticking. I sure wish I had known rapping the pump could temporarily get it working. It could have saved a lot of walking.

Is this anything that can be serviced without replacing the entire pump? Could this be something else, like a vapor lock issue, loose wire? Is this how a pump typically goes out?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sounds like a bad pump to me.......

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would agree... fuel pump problem (trash in line)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Some where I remember reading you can get a pump at napa. If I remember correctly its for some hyundai car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like some have successfully replaced their pump with a Carter P72118 fuel pump at about $108 + tax through NAPA. Replacing the regulator adds another $80.

With all of the work modifying this does anyone feel that the self-modified unit is an improvement over a $300 oem full replacement kit?

I think I am going to insulate the tank with butyl/foil while it's off the bike, hopefully to keep the fuel a little cooler.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean a loose wire? Otherwise I don't see how tapping it would temporarily correct the problem each time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Loose wire or bad conection at the pump or fusebox.Check voltages it easy check!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts