Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the Engine oil and filter for the first time on My Sportsman XP, Oil change was easy, But to access the Oil filter for the bottom With conventional filter tools wasn't happening, So I ended up removing the floor board panel to change the filter, which brings up the question- Is there a filter tool out there that will remove the filter from the bottom of the ATV? or is there any other ways of removing the filter from the bottom?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took the new oil filter with me to a parts store and found the correct metal filter "wrench." You need to find one that has thin walls...it is a tight fit..but it will work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's useful to know, thanks for the info.

Is there a catalog that tells you which aftermarket filters fit each atv? Kinda like what they have hanging in the parts store to look up your personal car? Or will the guy behind the counter be able to tell me.

I'm talking about at an actual parts store like CarQuest or Bumper to Bumper, not going to the dealer.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I took my new Polaris oil filter to Auto Zone to see if they had a cap wrench to fit the filter and to see if they had a K&N like DDDale mentioned,with the nut on it.I ended up looking for the stuff myself.I dont know if some of those guys are just that stupid or smoking something :joint::stooges::lol: I did the same thing Mechhell(took floorboard off)and used a strap wrench to get the old filter off.The cap wrench I bought fit the new filter good but a little loose for the one that was on it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Always try to do my homework before I go into the parts place or you may walk out with the wrong part.
Did you Find a K&N filter? Happen to know the part no.?(homework)

I wonder if Polaris reads any of this, There's a lot of good feedback for improving the next Model generation to more user maintainence friendly.

·
Registered
563 Posts
No,they didnt have one with the nut on it.Polaris gets feedback,there is no doubt about it,but whether or not they use much of it is the thing.They want people to bring them in for service instead of doing it yourself so they can get the money for parts and things.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah, plus they don't care if it's easy for you to serice or not. Just that it's easy for them to produce on a mass quantity and as quickly as possible so they can sell as many as possible. It's the same way with the car manufacturers. You have to have special tools to do any service yourself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think having this Forum and People with hands on experience can resolve most issues, I get alot of Info here.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah it's definitely very handy. There are alot of people on here who are smart and/or have the experienced required to anwswer most quiestions. Plus with the help of the supporting vendors there shouldn't be much we can't figure out together.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:beerchug:I'll drink to that

·
Registered
221 Posts
:fing02::beerchug::friday: Actually that sounds better than nice right now. TGIF!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just changed the oil in my xp and what a fun task i tried big tougue and grovel pliers and a strap wrench and nothin so i found a piece of muffler pipe put some cuts in it and hammered it onto my filter not to hard as to break something up top but enough to get it to grip the filter then when i had it off i took the mig and welded my cuts up so it will grap the next time and help me put the new filter on til i can find a better cup style filter tool

·
Registered
33 Posts
had same troubles this week with my 550 went to three auto parts stores to find a wrench to fit napa had one i think it was 10 dollars change your frt diff oil mine was black as coal after 115 miles and first service

·
Registered
673 Posts
harbor freight has an oil filter wrench kit that will fit for a couple of bucks. It will fit in the hole of the "floor board". You just need a 3 eigth ext. and ratchet to finish the job.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices If you want better quality, you can go to an auto parts store.

N

·
0 Posts
I took my new filter to Auto Zone and they had one that fit. If I remember correctly it was less than $5. It fit right while I was holding it but, I had a heck of a time getting it to slide on the existing filter. I finally had to tap it with a rubber mallet. Once it caught, the old filter came off in a snap. The filter wrench has a slight outward lip on it and I think that might be what kept it for going on the filter. I'm going to take my cut-off air tool and buzz it off. See if that helps.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
They have a really slick automatic adjust filter wrench at Sears. It automatically closes down on any size filter. It works great on both of my cars, 2 quads and my motorcyle with that single tool. It was like $12.99 on sale a while ago.

Never change filters without it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
after reading other forums and threads i figured id put together everything i found out during my experience:
the dealer says the filters for the 2 XP's are different than all the other sportsmen. but he said they are the same for both the 550 and 850 (regardless of what was used in the past). The XP's basically use a shorter filter. the longer one will work but wont be protected as well behind the skid plate.

After market filters are as follows:
NAPA 1358
Wix 51358
AC PF 2135
Purolator ML 16817
emgo 10-82230
Castrol 73117
STP # SMO-17
Fram 6607
Mobil One --- M1-110
K&N -- 303
Walmart Supertech-- ST6607

Polaris oil is a synthetic 0-40w. There are other brands you could use, some are cheaper than polaris'. the dealer had an oil change kit for $28(2qts and a filter).

The oil plug is a 6mm allen screw.

i also bought the filter wrench from walmart for $3.50. use a 3/8" ratchet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts