Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Take a pic with your phone and upload to photobucket.

everyone needs photobucket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
250 miles on my '11 850 XP and while riding this weekend the battery light came on, lost power steering, then noticed the power steering light on. I turned everything off then restarted it, and back to normal. It happened three more times within 5 mins then worked fine for the next two hours. All connections looked normal. Guess I will drop it off and let the dealer take a look before my warranty is up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eps faults

Polaris has given a power steering option and did not install the correct relay type. You can now replace this relay with a waterproof type at your own cost. They also do not support the old type relay as they know this is a installation fault. This should of been a recall and polaris is aware of there fault.
Bad job by polaris shame on you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi i'm new to the forum, let me know if you can help me, I have a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS and EPS failed, am from Costa Rica and in my country only sell the EPS complete and this has a cost of $ 4700, i need the sensor of posision and torque (the serial number is 17800A116830717) but I have not been able to find on ebay, someone knows where I can get this part?
Thank you very much and sorry for my writing, i speak and write English language very little.

Best regards.
Ronny. [email protected]
Watch red circle

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Banned
116 Posts
Polaris has given a power steering option and did not install the correct relay type. You can now replace this relay with a waterproof type at your own cost. They also do not support the old type relay as they know this is a installation fault. This should of been a recall and polaris is aware of there fault.
Bad job by polaris shame on you.
I would not bother posting a part # for that water proof relay you seem to know so much about/..............:hmmm: 1st post and all....................

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi i'm new to the forum, let me know if you can help me, I have a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS and EPS failed, am from Costa Rica and in my country only sell the EPS complete and this has a cost of $ 4700, i need the sensor of posision and torque (the serial number is 17800A116830717) but I have not been able to find on ebay, someone knows where I can get this part?
Thank you very much and sorry for my writing, i speak and write English language very little.

Best regards.
Ronny. [email protected]
That's built into the EPS itself, I've never heard of any serviceable parts. I've seen it apart and If you figure out where to get the stuff ,id sure like to know. You might want to check I'd someone is parting out a totaled machine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
172 Posts
The only ones I've replaced are ones that have gotten very wet inside multiple times. Something that could have been prevented at the first sign of trouble. My personal machines have the lower steering shaft drilled and tapped and have a set screw installed, to remedy the play these machines develop over time. Improperly sealed connectors and corroded eps relays are common problems also, along with improper installation to begin with. I had one that pulled to the left no matter what... ended up being main harness improperly routed and pulling on the upper steering shaft, which the eps takes as steering input and amplified it. I've heard of all kinds of crazy things, but I've been working on them every day since the 09 eps came out, and these are the only problems I've seen with it, every one of which is preventable.

As far as the XP goes, expect to replace a-arm bushings and balljoints often. I have two XP's, over 10,000 miles between them, never an issue past wearable parts. Never a CV joint, as I am diligent about checking and replacing torn boots. Never engine, trans, or diff work. My 550 with 8200 miles has had one belt replaced, and wearable clutch parts replaced. My 850 has had a belt and lots of water proofing done (No doubt because the power of the thing tends to influence riding style a little!!) It's all about how you maintain your machine and the quality of the service center it goes to.

Honda's eat timing chains and the electric shift is so unreliable that Honda actually provides a tool in the toolkit to manually shift the machine when it fails. They are still great machines.
Yamaha's clutching will cost you a fortune to have repaired if you wait until they fail to have them looked at. Still a great machine.

They all have issues, and the nice ride of our machines tend to give people a false sense of security. I'll hit ruts and bumps and 50mph on my 850....wouldn't dare do that on a Honda, no wonder my suspension needs work first!
Buy what you like the best.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ronny, I've got to ask, what caused your eps to fail? Also, have you tried simply having it reprogrammed? The EPS program has been updated several times over the years to address strange quirks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What happened is that it was submerged in a river, I moved the polaris atv distributor in Costa Rica and I was told is that the damaged piece.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Owned one and will NEVER own one again. X2 with turf mode is the way to go ;-)
Own two with EPS and will never go back. :veryhappy:

I said it before and I'll say it again: It's like going from dial-up internet to high-speed internet.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
610 Posts

I said it before and I'll say it again: It's like going from dial-up internet to high-speed internet.

Don't get me wrong...it was awesome the day it worked.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

+1 ... EPS will be standard on anything I purchase. I could see them even putting it into big heavy trail sleds at some point for low speed maneuvering.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Don't get me wrong...it was awesome the day it worked.
Perhaps I would feel the same way as you if I had issues with mine and it only worked for a day..

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ha! Well to be honest it worked about half the time. But the day it worked enough for the new owner who bought it was the important day. This is certainly new technology that will take a few more years to get it right.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Only have 67 Miles on my EPS so far. I have noticed a difference, its some times a bit 2 easy to steer, like loading in the truck, 1st time was a hoot!!

So far no mech issues, '13 850 XP. It does get hot and Im hearing ''sounds" .

Hitting off angle water diverters fast will make the landing a bit .........interesting, if you do not bring it back on course before landing. Read as its got bump steer that does not bring its self back to center........Meh, ill deal with it.

Did 2.5 miles of boulders today and it was a god send!!! im still feeling it. BUT if theis had been my old 800 X2 it would have sucked. Next is going right and 5 miles to the end.........................:saevilw:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm at 150 miles now on the 550. All I can say is I will never have a quad without PS now. I am trying to find aftermarket for my '04.5 but no such luck.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts