Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the oil on my rear diff and it was a fudge like liquid. There was also a little bit of metal on the drain plug. I had a ride planned on saturday and discovered this on friday. So I tore my wifes diff out of her 550 and put it in my 850 for saturday. I got around to splitting the case today and realized that one of the case bolts was broken off and you could see where the gasket seal failed and let all the muddy water in. What I was wondering was if anybody has heard of the bolts shearing off or was this just a fluke. I just don't want this to be a common problem.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well that sucks @#$. Never heard of that being an issue tho. And your hardcore to do a rear diff swap the night before a ride:beer:
His was the ride?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I could have just taken the wifes but I knew I would have more fun with mine. Was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I have to dig into mine one of these days. Every time I get it in any water it gets some in the rear diff. Not sure where it's coming in at but I know it's not a vent. For now I just change it every time it gets milky.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have read that yo can change the two seals on the sides while it is still in the machine.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yeah, but I don't have any leakage out of them so hard to believe it's coming in from them. Been doing it since I first checked it at 400 miles and all that was just light trails and the yard and one trip into some mud about 10 miles before that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that is weird I could tell mine was coming in from the seem where the two halves come together. Only after I split the case open, I am thinking from the broken bolt though. That is always the biggest pain when something isn't working, figuring out why, so you can them fix it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah, but I don't have any leakage out of them so hard to believe it's coming in from them. Been doing it since I first checked it at 400 miles and all that was just light trails and the yard and one trip into some mud about 10 miles before that.
Take a tire off and leave that end low over night. If no leak, try the other side. I did not notice mine leaking until I left one end low over night during a front suspension rebuild (bushings, wheel bearing, ballpoint).

I think the fluid level is lower than the seal...so it won't leak out unless you let it sit with the gear lube at/above the seal level.

Sean

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's really just a matter of finding the time between other people's stuff to work on my own. And you are correct that the level is below the seal so that could be the issue.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you have to replace the gear case, I recommend you replace it with the differential that has turf mode. About the same price and turf mode is awesome. You should be able to find the differential pn that is drop-in compatible with the old gear case.

LINK

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended getting a used one very resonable

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey man
i had the same issue with my rear case-2 lower bolts close to
pinion area were missing ???? and have been for awhile..
the wa wa noise is a waaaaaaaaaa noise.i just ordered a rear diff
my old one was worn out after 650 miles ??? wtf..
cheers ..rob..
ps-thanks for your help with the diff removal procedures ...later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts