Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for you tire experts out there.. In the 3 years I've been riding my 850 touring.. I've gone against the grain with my tire pressure (stock tires), and typically run 10lbs all the way around.. The manual calls for 7lbs for the front front and 5lbs for the rear.. I suppose I've kind of answered my own question as 10lbs has worked for me pretty well so far.. That is to say I've never lost a bead and the ride doesn't seem overly harsh as a result of the higher pressures i've been running.. Just thought I'd ask because i was considering setting the pressures to spec as i prepare to head out for a 3 day back woods run in norther ontario this thursday.. Just seems that when I push on the tires at the recommended pressures, they feel soft.. Am I over thinking it?.. Does a few lbs either way really matter?..

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
A few lbs makes a huge difference in the stock tires. Not so much in many aftermarket stiffer tires. If it works for you and your riding conditions, go with it. Or bring a little portable compressor along and play with your pressures and see what you think of other options.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A few lbs makes a huge difference in the stock tires. Not so much in many aftermarket stiffer tires. If it works for you and your riding conditions, go with it. Or bring a little portable compressor along and play with your pressures and see what you think of other options.
I used to run as little as 3 lbs in my moose hunt area that has a lot of rock and muskeg and I'm just crawling around everywhere.

And I have seen my buddies put as much as 25lbs in their tires on smaller atv's for road runs to get a few more miles an hour out them (yes they were a competitive crew).

I agree, play around and whatever works for you...pros and cons with all settings. I always carry a compressor, gauge and plenty of plugs. Spare valve stems are a good idea also as rocks and roots can rip those off.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm with you golf12! I have the ACT II on my XP and I run them at 9 all the way around unless there is snow cover. Made the mistake of running recommended pressures on my 500 when I first got it and pinched a bead my first real ride out. Then went with an 8 ply ;)

The trails up here have watermelon sized rocks everywhere and if you hit one at 20 mph and your pressures are set low, you're looking for tire issues. If you just crawl around, it's not as important.

I do think they float a bit at the higher pressures. That is to say that when aired up the machine tends to wander at speeds in excess of 50 mph.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info guys.. Thank you.. Ridinagain, you were right.. Just for kicks I took a spin with the tires at stock psi then again at my normal 10psi.. The machine absolutely handled differently from one to the other.. Especially at speed.. To bigirard's point.. I rolled over a few rocks to see how that felt and the lower pressures seemed to make the atv grip better as I slowly picked my way accross the rocks.. I hopped off at one point when I was well off camber and had a couple of the tires under stress on the rocks to see what they looked like.. In rough terrain I can see now that with the stockers it is probably wise to run a bit higher psi to avoid loosing a bead.. I could tell the tires under stress were just handing onto the rim for dear life.. If I was running hard on a long rocky run, it would only be a matter of time before the bead(s) let go..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I know I'm gonna catch hell from a few guys for saying this.. But I gotta tell you.. I keep trying to find an excuse to replace my stockers with Mudlite XTR's but these stock tires continue to hold their own.. I just got back from a 500km 3 day ride in northern Ontario.. I gotta qualify what this riding is.. If there's anyone on here from the "west Algonquin atv club".. You can back me up.. There are hundreds of km's of trails and its not easy riding.. Insane rock climbs - deep mud and crazy fast logging roads.. I was begging my tires to fail me but they just won't.. I'll replace them with the ITP's when the treads are gone.. But until then.. I'll have to serve as the exception to the rule with stock tires.. Or maybe I'm just that skilled of a rider that I don't need to upgrade.. Anyone willing to buy that?.. Didn't think so (ha!).. Put me down for just lucky I guess..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lol...you've got skillz...I didn't give the stockers on the '13 XP a chance as I ordered the kit when I bought the bike. I ran about 1000 miles on the stock set with my '09 Touring and they were terrible in the mud but never let down.

I went with the mudlte XTR this time instead of the regular mudlite. I have them out getting balanced right now. I am told they are one of the tires that seem to require more balancing than most. So far (other than the higher speed shakes) I like them. I ride the Shatbot Lake, lower Algonquin and Bancroft areas so my riding is similar to yours and the XTR's are working great. They are not to popular on here and for the money there maybe a better tire but for me they seem to be a great all purpose tire.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i installed some skid plates this past weekend. after finsihing that i figured with 100 miles on it, i would grease and check everything, just a little overview after its inital Shakedown. my tires had over 12lbs in them. i dropped it to 8 all around. i didnt notice a bad ride at 12lbs but i know that is very high. anxious to see how it feels with a litttle more give in the tire. as you have stated, i also,so far, have no real complaints about the stock tires. i have wanted to upgrade, but will wait for these to wear out/puncture.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The stock Carlisle 489's that came on mine factory are near identical to Mudlite XTR's tread so I can't see the difference in mud performance being any different between the two.

The ply rating may become a factor if you do much in rocks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The stock Carlisle 489's that came on mine factory are near identical to Mudlite XTR's tread so I can't see the difference in mud performance being any different between the two.

The ply rating may become a factor if you do much in rocks.
Looked a lot different to me. Lugs on the 489 were only 1/2 as deep. Less lug on sidewall edge for traction. Different tread pattern on the 489 which tended to fill up with mud rather than clear it out. I had trouble with the 489 holding air which was no surprise as the ply rating is less.

For a good smooth ride on a touring bike I think the 489 is a good stock tire but it was out of its comfort zone on the trails and swamps where I hunt and it was letting me down a lot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
489 II (came stock on my XP)

Mudlite XL

I see...but you said 489 vs mudlite XTR not 489II vs XL.

I can't comment on the 489II cause I had them swapped out before I even took delivery of the bike. The previous 489 stocks weren't any good to me so as soon as I saw 489 on the sidewall I wasn't willing to chance the tire issues I had before. And when I told the dealer the type of riding I do and where he said the stocks were Ok but I wouldn't likely be happy with them. This was the second bike I bought from them so they knew my preferences pretty well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got a complete stock set that never saw anything but the showroom floor sitting in my garage. They probably would have performed fine for my use but I'm not a fan of the looks of the factory XP wheel/tire package. The wheels look like they belong on a Crown Vic and the tires were too skinny for my liking. :veryhappy:

Actually, the XTR tread is closer to the 489 II's than the XL. May be deeper lugs but the tread is basically the same design.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
mine came with Maxxis M9085 and M9086's not as nice as the 489's

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got a complete stock set that never saw anything but the showroom floor sitting in my garage. They probably would have performed fine for my use but I'm not a fan of the looks of the factory XP wheel/tire package. The wheels look like they belong on a Crown Vic and the tires were too skinny for my liking. :veryhappy:

Actually, the XTR tread is closer to the 489 II's than the XL. May be deeper lugs but the tread is basically the same design.

I love your comparison to the crown vic, lol. I didn't even bring mine home this time. I traded for accessories.

In the pics they are similar but see the center lugs on the 489? They are solid where the mudlite is hollowed. And the lug spacing is just different enough that it seems to me might not move as much mud out of the way? The XTR to me looks to be have more of a paddle design to it.

I just wish Polaris would offer a couple of different premium tires as stock. I am sure they could do it one heck of a lot cheaper than we can :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
My dealer wouldn't let me trade or just take it off of the purchase price. He said that he used to but he wound up with a warehouse full of wheels and tires that he couldn't get rid of.

I can see where he's coming from. I've been trying to sell that set with barely any sniffs unless I just gave them away. I might ought to keep them if I ever go anywhere that has a 50" rule in effect. My current setup is a few inches over that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My dealer has lists of guys waiting for stock sets for spares. I think this is something that the salesmen take on themselves and the dealership isn't actually on the hook. They routinely get $400 vs. for the set.

I am sure if people quit buying them then that game will soon end but for now it got me my front and rear bumpers and my gun mount.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am still running the 489 ii on mine. I was building a house when I bought the atv so I wasn't going to spend money on new tires too. I've knocked one tire off the bead rock crawling and plugged one but they haven't really ever failed me. I'm waiting on taxes or Christmas before I replace them I reckon. I will say they 100% suck in mud but will go with some fuel.

I run factory specs for air. Was running less and was wearing the outside of tire pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1 - 18 of 18 Posts