Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
XP Touring owners watch your tire sizes with stock wheels. Ride experience.

If you are upgrading to after-market tires on your XP Touring watch your sizes. I finally got my machine out for a workout yesterday and found that even with my rear suspension cranked to the max my 26.5" pitbull rockers (rear) would hit the 2-up footrest brace on bumps with the inside corner of the lugs, tearing up the corner of the lug a bit. The fronts did not have any issues. I am going to see about putting some 25.5" on instead as that should be enough to clear between the smaller height and width.

This was something that Polaris obviously didn't put to much thought in knowing that most people upgrade to after-market tires. With aftre-market rims this would be a non issue. The only options I see for keeping the 26.5" tires are after-market rims, a lift kit, or a raked rear a-arm kit.

Other than the rear tire scrub the machine handled great in the snow, it was about 50 degrees yesterday and the riding was great. 4x4 low gear all day topping out at about 15mph usually less, the machine did really well just manage the throttle, hang on and let her do the work. I did need to winch out of 1 spot as right before we trailered up I tried to hit the ditch, I had forgotten how rutted this stretch of ditch was during the summer and found myself high centered with wet feet once I broke thru.

It was just myself and a 1 friend with a Honda Rincon with 25" Big-horns and while he had to work it harder I was impressed on what that machine went thru. There was only one spot for him were he anchored off to me to get over the crest of the hill. It was great day for riding.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would try to mod the plate a little or take a hammer to the corner of it so the tire would not hit the sharp edge.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try to mod the plate a little or take a hammer to the corner of it so the tire would not hit the sharp edge.
I trimmed a bit of plastic off of the back of the foot well and pounded/bent the bracket further in, didn't gain much clearance and don't expect it to help once the suspension settles. I am going to swap the tires out for the 25.5" model which are also 1" narrower, I am hoping that solves the issue. I think the damage would have been worse if I was using the machine as a 2-up with a passenger.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Seems like if it's not one thing it's another.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
That's why I like to keep thinks stock size. Bummer on the tires Fishy but I am glad you caught it early before more damage was done.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I trimmed a bit of plastic off of the back of the foot well and pounded/bent the bracket further in, didn't gain much clearance and don't expect it to help once the suspension settles. I am going to swap the tires out for the 25.5" model which are also 1" narrower, I am hoping that solves the issue. I think the damage would have been worse if I was using the machine as a 2-up with a passenger.
fishy,

thanks for the good info. i was thinking about putting 26.5 rockers or 26 bighorns on mine. the only bad part about going with the 25.5 rockers, won't you lose some ground clearance? would rear wheel spacers help? we're your rear rockers 26.5x11-14 and the fronts 26x9-14?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fishy,

thanks for the good info. i was thinking about putting 26.5 rockers or 26 bighorns on mine. the only bad part about going with the 25.5 rockers, won't you lose some ground clearance? would rear wheel spacers help? we're your rear rockers 26.5x11-14 and the fronts 26x9-14?
26.5x9x14 and 26.5x11x14 is what I have, spacers may work but would need to be at least 1" and would widen the machine which is something I don't want to do otherwise I would go with an after-market rim.

I really won't lose any ground clearance with the 25.5x8x14 and 25.5x10x14 as the 25.5"s measure over 26"s. My only fear is once the suspension starts to settle and if I ever use the machine as a 2-up with passenger that it will rub again, otherwise I would keep the 26.5 as once they finish chunking out in that area the damage would be done and not affect much.

I wish there was a super heavy duty after market spring as that may also take care of the issue.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i guess you could go with a heavier set of aftermarket shocks. ride tech makes air shocks for the xp's. but they're a lot of money. i totally agree with you on wanting to keep your width down on your atv. i've kept my stock wheels and bought an extra set for that same reason. heck, i can get myself pretty muddy with stock tires and wheels. i can't imagine how much mud it would throw with aftermarket wheels tires sticking out an extra inch or 2 on each side. good luck with the 25.5 rockers!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ransom...if Fishy moves down one inch, in theory that is only 1/2 inch loss in ground clearance. The other 1/2 inch would be above the center of the wheel. Unless you are a competitive rider, 1/2 inch probably won/t make much difference. Granted, that is assuming the two tire sizes are really what they claim. The thing that would bother me about this problem is that most buy a Polaris for its unequaled ride. If you have to crank the suspension all the way up, it seems to me you would be defeating this major selling point. Fishy...thanks for this warning. When I buy tires, this is one question I will know to ask Thor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I put 26" Big Horns on mine and they would rub when I bottomed out in small valley. I just pounded the corner of the footrest bracket in with a big hammer and that solved my problem.

·
Registered
764 Posts
when i ride 2up i usually crank the rear shocks all the way up. my wife very seldom rides with me, but when she does its on our annual trip to colorado. those trails are rocky and you need as much ground clearance as possible. it does affect the ride some, but with her on back and a storage box full of food and gear it keeps us from scraping all the time. now if i ride by myself it depends on the type of trails i'm riding on how i adjust my shocks. i love the softest setting, myself, but sometimes it just won't work for the conditions.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I put 26" Big Horns on mine and they would rub when I bottomed out in small valley. I just pounded the corner of the footrest bracket in with a big hammer and that solved my problem.
were you riding by yourself or did you have a passenger when they rubbed? how were your shocks adjusted? i hate to ask so many questions, but i'm looking really hard at bighorns but don't want them to rub.

Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ransom...if Fishy moves down one inch, in theory that is only 1/2 inch loss in ground clearance. The other 1/2 inch would be above the center of the wheel. Unless you are a competitive rider, 1/2 inch probably won/t make much difference.

The thing that would bother me about this problem is that most buy a Polaris for its unequaled ride. If you have to crank the suspension all the way up, it seems to me you would be defeating this major selling point.
I think what may help besides the 1/2" loss of ground clearance is the narrower tire as the 25.5" has a 10" wide rear vs the 11" wide rear on the 26.5"

As for needing to crank the suspension up that doesn't bother me as I have ran all of my machine son the stiffest settings...... even after I added after-market springs.

I contacted EPI today but they don't have anything for springs, they suggested checking with highlifter but I would rather not put an ugly yellow mud spring on, I would rather get something tailored to my riding style.

I did trim the plastic and pound in the bracket to see if that would help the situation, took it for a quick drive across the lake but wasn't able to tell if it improved anything as almost all the snow has melted and the ice was smooth like glass, I hit everything I could find but couldn't get it to scrub off the little I found.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is good information...but it makes me laugh. We're taking a big hammer to our $10K machines ;)
You have to admit...sounds a little redneck...but hey...whatever works!

·
Registered
484 Posts
This is good information...but it makes me laugh. We're taking a big hammer to our $10K machines ;)
You have to admit...sounds a little redneck...but hey...whatever works!
rather bend something you'd never see then reck $100+ tires IMO

·
Registered
27 Posts
So 26" BigHorns will rub? I had just decided to spring for the Touring over the regular but I was going to put BigHorns on either one. This may change my mind. The plush ride is the main reason I want an XP but I don't want it to rub - even when the shock is completely compressed. The ATV absolutely has to be under 50" wide, so aftermarket wheels (at least the ones I've found) are out.

Looking like I'm stuck with a regular XP with the backrest on the rear box and some risers for paseger footrests. It's not that bad because it would be 1-up 95% of the time anyhow.

I assume the BigHorn rivals would also rub - ITP Terracross?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the BH on my 2010 850 Touring and I have not noticed the rubbing. I've had my wife on it with me and so far so good. I'll post if I notice anything negative.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Does anyone out there have a 2011 Touring with Sparticus or Grim's??? If so, what size works and do you have a problem with rubbing? Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I too am interested in knowing what size Sparticus or Grims would fit a 2011 Touring and not rub. I am leaning towards them for a replacement....

And...I wasn't trying to be critical about the whole "hammering" a $10K + machine. It just seemed funny reading the posts. I agree that tearing up tires is not good and a little "adjustment" is worth it.
Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spoke with a respected member on another forum and he has also had the issue with his 2011 touring slightly rubbing with 26" Bighorns, although he stated less so then the 26.5" Rockers.

I'm still going to do a little tinkering before I swap tire sizes. I'll post the results once I have a chance to make adjustments and test.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts