964 Posts
Awesome...Thanks JBouvier!

They are huge tires for sure...

biz
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tried the 28" big horns out some and the backs were rubbing when riding on moderate sized bumps which with the wife on would become a problem. I trimmed the passenger foot brackets back and adjusted the springs one notch. No rubbing over all kinds of bumps and speeds :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362947133.201535.jpg

Sorry about the snow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the 28" Bighorns they look sweet but before I start cutting the bike has anyone tried swamp lites on a touring? Reason I ask is if you look at a pic of swamplites they have no treads in the corners like most tires. I wonder if the swamplite would still hit the bracket or not. A 27" swamplite would be possible?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like the 28" Bighorns they look sweet but before I start cutting the bike has anyone tried swamp lites on a touring? Reason I ask is if you look at a pic of swamplites they have no treads in the corners like most tires. I wonder if the swamplite would still hit the bracket or not. A 27" swamplite would be possible?
My buddy has 27" swamplites on his Touring and no problems, I am going to go with 28" as soon as I suck up to the wife enough :veryhappy:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am running a offset of 5+2 on all 4 witch in real measurements is closer to a 4+3 and have plenty of clearance. I am just over 50 wide with my 11 inch rears at the stiffest setting on the shocks.

Thanks are they 28" tires you are running and do you have to run it on stiffest setting or is that your preference
I have my shock settings on the front on number 2 setting and probably set it to the highest because if I hit some dips to hard it rubs so I have to be more careful

·
Registered
51 Posts
swamolites

Canuk is their room for 28" swamplites on a touring?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Canuk is their room for 28" swamplites on a touring?
My buddy has 27" swamplites on his and it looks to me that there is room for 28" swamplites so that is what I am going to go with, you might have to trim the metal on the footwell though

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did your buddy have to trim the bracket for the 27" swamplites

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did your buddy have to trim the bracket for the 27" swamplites
No he didn't have too, I think if the shocks are cranked up you wouldn't have to with 28's either

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well thanks for the info canuk. So it seems touring owners do have a few good choices afterall.
I talked to jbouvier last night about putting on BHs. Looks like I will have to decide between these two.

27-28 Bias Swamplites
26-28 Radial Bighorns

I really wanted a radial tire but the reviews on swamplites seem good. I guess the knock on them is they wear fast but are decent in mud. BH last forever but are not as good in mud and cost more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am running a offset of 5+2 on all 4 witch in real measurements is closer to a 4+3 and have plenty of clearance. I am just over 50 wide with my 11 inch rears at the stiffest setting on the shocks.

Thanks are they 28" tires you are running and do you have to run it on stiffest setting or is that your preference
No way r u going to fit 28"s on a touring without a lift and 1" spacers. I'm running 27's and on hard bumps/Jumps. She's rubbing easy! Normal riding no issues.
I'm running 28 inch mudlites and I have to be careful on the front especially or they'll rub have the shock settings on the 2nd setting and will have to put on the 3rd the rear shocks are fine on the normal setting My quad is a 2012 Xp eps 850cc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I have found a solution....I did want to avoid grinding the bracket off if I could although I was not scared too.

After looking at various tires I narrowed it down to 3 tires. 26" Bighorns, 27" Swamplites and 27" Reptiles. Bighorns are just so ballooney I knew from others who posted they will always rub. So that left Swamplites and Reptiles. Both made by Interco. One is Bias and one is radial. Both are similar with aggresive tread design and decent reviews. I visited the local tire shop comparing the tires and finally decided to try one, Swamplites. I am happy to report they fit with no alterations to the foot rest bracket!!!!!. There seems to be decent room because of the SL tread design.

I had to take a test ride..... after taking several high speed runs and jumps as well as doing some light mud I have this to report. No rubbing at all. In fact due to the position of the tire tread I dont think it could possibly hit. I was not riding double but I am 300 lbs. Also I am on the softest setting for the shocks and of course the bracket could still be ground off.

As for the tires they are very good in the mud that I tested them in. In fact I left it in 2wd the whole time and usually I need 4wd for a few bad sections. I do find them very stiff on the trail compared to the 489 Carlise stockers but from what I have read they will loosen up some with use. They grip extremely well and I was impressed overall so far. I will update this thread in the future as I ride more and see how they wear. I am about 90% sure the Reptiles will fit as well for those of you who want the radials for a more plush ride. The Swamplites measured true at 27" with 7 psi. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how. Thanks Jbouvier and Canuk for your input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here they are:

Before

After

Tire Comparison

·
Registered
209 Posts
That looks good, what do you think about 28s fitting? I think they would be ok especially if the footwell is trimmed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Id say 28's will fit. Like you said the bracket may need to be removed. 27" no problem just a question whether you need the extra inch. You may need a clutch kit with 28" if you lose power.
What customizing did you do to your rear bumper?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Id say 28's will fit. Like you said the bracket may need to be removed. 27" no problem just a question whether you need the extra inch. You may need a clutch kit with 28" if you lose power.
What customizing did you do to your rear bumper?
I just made a steel basket for it the same as they put on Guru rear bumpers, my small hard cooler fits perfect in it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was trying to get a Guru bumper but they stopped making the rear ones. So I planned on making a box myself as well possibly out of black diamond plate alluminum. Just something to fit a hard cooler as well. Then I started thinking of a bigger one but was thinking it may be too much. Can you show me a pic of how yours turned out?

101 - 120 of 124 Posts