Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a dismantled Xplorer 300 dirt cheap that I'm hoping to revive (see my post in newbie section for details). A few questions for you:

1. Where is the VIN stamped? I'm trying to find out exactly what year mine is.

2. As an adjunct to #1. From my research, this model was only available '96-'99. Were there any changes between years?

3. I've been unsuccessful finding a service manual specific to this model on-line. Are the "universal" Polaris manuals adequate for something as involved as a full rebuild?

TIA for any help. The Xplorer 300 doesn't appear to be very desired in the world of Polaris; but I'm anxious to get this thing up and running!

·
Registered
527 Posts
The vin number will be stamped on the fram rail by the front tire but I can not remember what side for sure. The service manual you have should work for most anything. The 300 was a good machine Polaris just cut back on models they were offering and eliminated it from the line up.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and tech help. The crank assembly has a driven gear on it; so I assume there may be a way to add a speedometer. Either that, or this same crank assembly was shared between multiple engines. Once I get the VIN, I'll call a Polaris dealer and see what they can tell me about this ATV.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The gear drive on the crank is for the oil pump. The speedo hook up was either by a speedo cable going to the angle drive on the transmission or a electronic pick up on the front wheel. I believe that one had the cable drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil pump only, or oil and fuel pump? I know many carb'd passenger vehicles had fuel pumps that ran off of a gear on the cam. I got the plastics cleaned up today and scraped the frame to find the VIN. 4XACG25C022675157, FWIW. I also cleaned up all of the gasket surfaces with a wire wheel, pressed out some of the bad bearings, pressed in the new ones the PO had bought, and reassembled the pull-start mechanism. Also ordered a full gasket kit off of ebay. Not much sense in doing all of this and using old gaskets. That's about all I'm going to do until I get a service manual for torque specs. I considered power washing the entire frame; but with the plastics off, all of the electronics are exposed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts