Polaris ATV Forum banner

Xplorer 300 mystery hose

5K views 36 replies 4 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
Brand new here. Bought a used xplorer 300 and have been replacing warn parts with new ones. Found a hose attached just above the oil dip stick and the other end is melted and not attached. It has length to reach the carburetor but no obvious place reattach. I am assuming it is a oil return line but it's been awhile since working on a 2 stroke. Any help is appreciated.

#3 ·
So the hose travels from the dip stick on the right side through the inside past carb area and into the frame on the left side? I have 1 nipple there being occupied by a carb hose. This nipple is just a solid piece that caps a vacume hose. I am not sure we are talking about the same hose. My hose is not long enough and I am not sure a thin hose like this runs that far anywhere. It's not thick and durable to handle any heat at all. I appreciate the try. Any other possible suggestions?

#4 ·
It's the transmission vent hose - without a pic, I'm not sure what hose is "capped", but neither vent lines or vacuum lines are "capped". The line from the carb to the nipple should be a float bowl vent. The vent hoses are simply located high up on the frame to prevent water from entering through the vent. There is a nipple on the bottom of the carb that is supposed to have a line attached to it to carry overflow away from the engine area - that line is supposed to have a one way valve in it to let overflow out, air in and prevent water from entering the carb during momentary encounters with deep water.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum

#13 ·
Old as Dirt, I have come across some more mysteries. I am replacing the starter and think I found the counter balance vent you spoke about. I circled it in a pic. Also found a thin white wire with a thin red stripe coming from a cluster in the back of the pull start case. Is this for the start button? The oil injector was bypassed by previous owner and I found a thick red wire and thick tan wire spliced together on the left side coming from the front wiring panel. Any thoughts? Anyone else have any thoughts as well?

Attachments

#16 ·
Wiring on the 96 Xplorer 300 was pretty basic
red with a white stripe is switched power (hot when the key is on)
white with a red stripe is the control power wire from the starter switch to the solenoid
brown is ground
black is ignition kill

There was no tan wires - here's the color code

In your last post - there is no device in the wiring diagram with 2 red/wht wires going to it - I have no idea what it is or where it goes - might be year model specific

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.