Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
and think I found the counter balance vent you spoke about. I circled it in a pic.
That is for an oil injection hose - the barb is part #3 - the hose goes to a barbed nipple on the LH side of the carb (there are no clear pics of the carb that exhibit the oil line nipple location)

Discussion starter · #24 ·
No idea on that one. There are a couple youtube videos floating around that show how to add a Diode into the wiring harness to bypass the reverse overide button. Perhaps that is what that is????. I would follow the wiring diagram latebird posted. Who knows what the PO did there.
What exactly does the override do and how can I tell if it is working or not?

What exactly does the override do and how can I tell if it is working or not?
The reverse limiter switch allows you to use full throttle in reverse gear. From the factory, the yellow button on the left switch block is the limiter. The machine has a speed limiting switch that kicks in when you shift into reverse. It only allows the machine to creep at very low speed in reverse. By pushing the yellow button it overides the speed limiting switch and allows full throttle to be used. This is often the wiring that guys butcher up on these things trying to eliminate the need to use the button. Only way to correct what some hack has done to the wiring is follow the wiring diagram closely and try to figure out what they changed. Tedious work, but only way to fix it properly.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
No idea on that one. There are a couple youtube videos floating around that show how to add a Diode into the wiring harness to bypass the reverse overide button. Perhaps that is what that is????. I would follow the wiring diagram latebird posted. Who knows what the PO did there.
It comes from under the gas tank and only enough length to reach carburetor or air box. It all looks factory. I am still trying to figure out.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
That came from an old post on this site
My xplorer does not have a counterbalance vent in this location.
Wiring on the 96 Xplorer 300 was pretty basic
red with a white stripe is switched power (hot when the key is on)
white with a red stripe is the control power wire from the starter switch to the solenoid
brown is ground
black is ignition kill

There was no tan wires - here's the color code
View attachment 155900

In your last post - there is no device in the wiring diagram with 2 red/wht wires going to it - I have no idea what it is or where it goes - might be year model specific
So what I thought was tan is actually solid white and it comes from the wire cluster that plugs into the crank case above the starter.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
My xplorer does not have a counterbalance vent in this location.

So what I thought was tan is actually solid white and it comes from the wire cluster that plugs into the crank case above the starter.
The wiring diagram tells me that the wire cluster from the crank case is for the stater and the white wire is ground. This has been spliced with the thick red wire by wire nut coming from the front.

The wiring diagram tells me that the wire cluster from the crank case is for the stater and the white wire is ground. This has been spliced with the thick red wire by wire nut coming from the front.
Yes, the white wire from the stator is ground

Where did you get this diagram? Partzilla and Cheap cycle parts don't have this one. I can't find the vent tube you pointed out. I have Polaris xlporer A99CC28CA.
I get my diagrams from Polaris

Is there a picture/diagram any where of the front wiring panel with the color markings clearly marked?
Now that it has been established that you have a 1999 ATV XPLORER 300 - A99CC28CA, I can tell you that is does not have a counter balance

This is in the picture I provided.
So what does the other end of the red wire attach to?

The red wire is actually spliced into a yellow wire attached to the front wire panel at the bottom.
Solid yellow is either from the stator to rec/reg or from the dimmer switch to the high beam on the headlights

Is there a picture/diagram any where of the front wiring panel with the color markings clearly marked?

Discussion starter · #34 ·
That is for an oil injection hose - the barb is part #3 - the hose goes to a barbed nipple on the LH side of the carb (there are no clear pics of the carb that exhibit the oil line nipple location)

View attachment 155919
So I found thick black oil hose still attached but cut off to the nipple at the location in red. The hose that goes on the #3 nipple then to side of Carb, I have a hose already there which appears to be a bypass by the pic I provided. If I put the correct hose in those locations where would the hose at the top of the intake go to, and the black cut off hose go to?

So I found thick black oil hose still attached but cut off to the nipple at the location in red. The hose that goes on the #3 nipple then to side of Carb, I have a hose already there which appears to be a bypass by the pic I provided. If I put the correct hose in those locations where would the hose at the top of the intake go to, and the black cut off hose go to?
Lost me there - what hose looks to be a bypass and what hose to the top of the intake? New or reference pic please.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Lost me there - what hose looks to be a bypass and what hose to the top of the intake? New or reference pic please.
So sorry, I forgot to attach the pics. First pic is oil pump where in red I found a thick black oil hose had been cut off at the nipple. Where does it go? Second pic is the carb where a single hose is attached from the top of the intake to the left side where the small oil pump hose ( from #3 nipple) is supposed to attach. Where is the hose originally supposed to go?

Attachments

So sorry, I forgot to attach the pics. First pic is oil pump where in red I found a thick black oil hose had been cut off at the nipple. Where does it go? Second pic is the carb where a single hose is attached from the top of the intake to the left side where the small oil pump hose ( from #3 nipple) is supposed to attach. Where is the hose originally supposed to go?
OH BOYEE - the epitome of ignorance of the previous owner..............

In the first pic, that nipple is for the supply hose from the oil tank to the oil pump - #17 connects to the nipple in the red circle

In the second pic, the dumb bass connected the one of the carb float bowl vents to the oil injection nipple - left unplugged it would run lean and the idle would be high - connected as it is it is sucking fuel vapor from the float bowl it will run rich and the idle speed would be difficult to set. The idle mixture would be impossible to set so it would not idle long before loading up and dying from being flooded.

Since the oil pump has been disconnected, run dry and possibly full of dirt, it will need to be tested before reconnecting.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.