Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and have a question. I am replacing the rear sprocket on my 1998 Xplorer 300 and have hit a snag. I tried removing the bolts holding the sprocket on and found that the bolt head is round and is recessed in a round hole. Either something is broke/wrong or I am missing something. I have no idea what to do next... Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have to cut them off the nut that is with a wizzer or you can try a good impact and tap with hammer on head of bolt when spinning impact ot jam a old screw driver or punch in beside head of bolt or just grind off nut

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Unless it's been to long since i worked on one of these,but if you are replacing sprocket you will have new holes in sprocket to work with, use new bolts too, i looked it up on Microfiche
Sprocket 3222061
bolts 7515540
nuts 75142439

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. It's looking like I'll have to cut them off.

If it helps, the sprocket is attached to a hub and the bolt heads are recessed in to the hub, not the sprocket.

·
11,164 Posts
You have to take the bolts #20 loose to get the sprocket guard #17 and spacer # 18 off first. The sprocket #19 is mounted to the sprocket hub #22 by studs #21 that are press fit into the hub like wheel studs. There shouldn't be any reason to have to grind or cut them off. Use a little JB Blaster to soak them or maybe a little heat on the nuts #16 after removing the guard. They probably have thread locker on them that needs to be softened up to let them turn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts