Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang, new guy to the group here. Bringing 25+ years repair experience on all makes and models of off-road equipment.
Even an old dog like me runs into an issue that just does not make sense and I'm asking your help.
Complete motor rebuild of a 1996 Xplorer 300. It all back together and in the frame and I'm finishing the install. However when I go to put the pull start cover back onto the motor its not lining up. I do have a new starter and bendex installed. Which honestly I thought might be the issue but the part numbers are the same as the old one and the bendex measures the same.
So not only will the cover not seat but all of the holes are off just a little bit. I'm really scratching my bald head on this one.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just recently did the starter on my 1997 400. On the bottom left side there is a small hole that has to line up with the end of the bendix. The end of the bendix goes into this small hole. It's a pain to get it just right, and the bendix may fall out a couple of time before you get it in there.:sigh1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aftermarket.... I have verified all measurement with a micrometer. Is there another issue I'm missing with them ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I remember having to shave the starter bushing down in order for the bendix to spin free. Never had an issue bolting the cover back on.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just to be clear I was refering to the small hole on the cover side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. The location pin is not the issue. Cannot even get it close enough for that to matter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I remember correctly there is not much in there besides the bendix and the flywheel. Is the flywheel perhaps not all the way seated??? Or perhaps the pull cord assembly has shifted or popped out some?:nixweiss:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... I wouldn't have believed the issue unless I saw it for myself. The brass bushing in the pull start cover was worn out at a taper. Larger at the top and smaller at the bottom. Also, the new bendex was .002 thicker then the stock one I pulled. It was an easy fix putting the cover in the vertical mill and boring the busing to the correct size of the new bendex. Good to know I was not losing my mind!! Thanks for the input everyone!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts