Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1996 Polaris Xplorer 300 (Got it for dirt cheap) and I had to replace the carb. The atv has very low hours I knew the original owner and he drove it once or twice a year. Once I replaced the carb the atv ran fine for some time. I returned home from a trip overseas to find out someone rode the atv and it sounded like it ran out of fuel and stopped running. I checked the atv when I returned home and cannot get it to start up.

I pulled the head to check the piston, it looked fine, I replaced the head gasket. The engine fires when turning over. I replaced the spark plug. I also spray starting fluid with the fuel switch off to ensure I will not flood the engine. The engine still does not fire. I pulled the cover to see if the pin has been sheared on the flywheel and it has not sheared. I replaced the cdi box although I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem.

A 2 stroke engine is not that complicated, what am I missing? Does this model have a reed cage that I am unaware of? Could the timing be off even though the flywheel pin was not sheared? The engine feels like it has good compression.

Any suggestions would be appreiated, I am ready to scrap this POS even though it is basically brand new with original tires and all.

·
Registered
721 Posts
1st thing I would do is check the compression with a gauge, not by "feel".

·
Registered
90 Posts
yes 2strokes do have a reed cage. located between the carb & cylinder.i take it the oil tank has oil in it? or do you premix oil n gas? if so was mixed gas used while you were gone? if not it may be blown. is the plug firing? if so then it 's got'a be in the fuel delivery. if it's been setting for a while you could have some blockage in the fuel lines somewhere. check the fuel filter. don't get frustrated, it's just a slow mathodical process of elimination. rebuilt my 400 xplorer one thing at a time, it was just worn out, don't sound like that's your problem, more likely nonuse issues, usually fuel related. keep after it & keep us posted. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The compression is 67 psi. What will be blown??? Again like mentioned above, I pulled the head and the piston is not blown. I do not premix fuel, the atv uses the oil injection. The fuel line is clear and the engine gets fuel, normally 2 stroke engines, including this one when i put in the new carb, will fire with starting fluid. It used to do this even without a carb on it, now it will not fire on starting fluid. I have good fire from the spark plug. I really do not believe there is a reed cage because I don't see one and no, not all 2 strokes need them. It has to be timing???? What is the issue? The part that is really aggrevating is that this is one of the only atv's that no one makes a repair manual for.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The compression is 67 psi. What will be blown??? Again like mentioned above, I pulled the head and the piston is not blown. I do not premix fuel, the atv uses the oil injection. The fuel line is clear and the engine gets fuel, normally 2 stroke engines, including this one when i put in the new carb, will fire with starting fluid. It used to do this even without a carb on it, now it will not fire on starting fluid. I have good fire from the spark plug. I really do not believe there is a reed cage because I don't see one and no, not all 2 strokes need them. It has to be timing???? What is the issue? The part that is really aggrevating is that this is one of the only atv's that no one makes a repair manual for.
There's your problem...67 psi. You need a top-end rebuild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What should the compression be? I should replace piston rings and head gasket? Do I get to the crankshaft from the belt drive side or from the flywheel cover? There is no repair manuals for this bike grrrr...

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
843 Posts
compressiuon should be at least 100-110 psi but that may still cause hard starting i know my 250 trail blazer had 135 or so so yours should be around there id imagine it not hard to do a piston and rings ....id recommend a rebore to the cylinder when its off or atleast check it out for size

·
Registered
90 Posts
did'nt say all 2stokes had'm. if your worried about the timeing, check the stator plate bolts. if the plate is'nt xtreme to one side or the other and the key's not sheared then the timeing should be good. i'm bette'n on a broke ring. i would never spray starting fluid in my 2stroke, (no oil) but that's just me. good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
300 won't fire solution

I own a 1996 Polaris Xplorer 300 (Got it for dirt cheap) and I had to replace the carb. The atv has very low hours I knew the original owner and he drove it once or twice a year. Once I replaced the carb the atv ran fine for some time. I returned home from a trip overseas to find out someone rode the atv and it sounded like it ran out of fuel and stopped running. I checked the atv when I returned home and cannot get it to start up.

I pulled the head to check the piston, it looked fine, I replaced the head gasket. The engine fires when turning over. I replaced the spark plug. I also spray starting fluid with the fuel switch off to ensure I will not flood the engine. The engine still does not fire. I pulled the cover to see if the pin has been sheared on the flywheel and it has not sheared. I replaced the cdi box although I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem.

A 2 stroke engine is not that complicated, what am I missing? Does this model have a reed cage that I am unaware of? Could the timing be off even though the flywheel pin was not sheared? The engine feels like it has good compression.

Any suggestions would be appreiated, I am ready to scrap this POS even though it is basically brand new with original tires and all.
there is a tiny capacitor in the plug wire end and a small spring on the wire side pull the pointed piece that screws on the wire out with needle nose pliers and clean

·
Banned
2,959 Posts

there is a tiny capacitor in the plug wire end and a small spring on the wire side pull the pointed piece that screws on the wire out with needle nose pliers and clean
you do know this thread is 4 years old?

·
Registered
4 Posts

no I didn't but there's bound to be others that have this problem

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This is way to funny.LOLOLOLOLLLOOOOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLO
Oh my Lord.
I wonder if the guy ever got her running? :thinking::wave::dance:

·
Registered
37 Posts
This thread is old but im having same issues now with a 300. just stopped running last winter. now it wont start. has excellent spark, cleaned carb. i have read about it shearing a pin. going to check that now. can cover be removed in frame. one bolt is behind the brake. comp is 80 lbs with a good motorcycle gage not my finger. thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
80 psi is too low. For sure needs piston/rings. My bet would be that piston skirt came apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts