1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help.
I have a 2000 xplorer 400 2 stroke.
No service manual
I have a dip stick under the air filter on the back of the engine block down low.? What this for? The dip sticks dry.
There's a bolt on the right side of the transmission on top that exposes some oil. I'm assuming transmission oil? No dip stick so how full should it be?
Do I need oil in the shifter lever case on the right side. I read where 10W40 motor oil should go here but cant tell what year they are referring too?
Are there any other oils that go some where?
I ordered a service manual but its a week away.
Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I downloaded that yesterday and it did help.
But it doesn't explain what goes where as far as oils and lubes like a service manual would.
Thanks though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That dry dipstick is the for the counter balance oil. It requires 3.5oz of angle drive fluid. If you put in the oil and it smokes like a bastard than you will need to replace the counter balance seal and water pump seal. The bolt on top of the transmission is the fill plug, there should be one towards the bottom to drain. I would change this fluid regardless. The front differential fluid should be changed, along with the fluid for the two front hubs for the 4X4. All this stuff is on youtube, this is were I learned how to do mine. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts