Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was running great when I last parked it in may.. it now starts but has a very rough idle and chokes when throttle is open it seems to be running rich as the plug is oil fouled. ive done my research on the board and have found that its probably the carb clogged up because of old gas. what ive done so far: emptied the gas tank put fresh, completely cleaned the carb from top to bottom ( idle needle was clogged) and reinstalled. at first start I thought it was fixed but then started having the same rough idle a little better but not by much and still chokes as soon as throttle is moderately opened. running out of ideals as it only seems to be the fuel mixture that's not right.

96 Xplorer 400L 2 stroke

Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Old gas gunk buildup on the needle or float pins can cause this too. Does the slide/floats/needle all move freely? A check for intake leaks would be s good idea as well. Intake boots and hose weather and crack, and may not be easy to see.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
all the needles move freely and have been cleaned, I haven't check the intake boot i'll go check that out but it were taking in more air after the carb wouldn't that make a lean mixture of fuel? because when I take the plug out after starting it, the plug is black and has a carbon/oil residu on it. ill change the plug again but im getting tired of wasting them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It would make a lean mixture, but if it is enough to cause the engine to misfire then it will still leave you with a black plug, as it's not burning the fuel its getting. Another thing you can do is put a clear hose on the bowl drain on the carb, and hold it up beside the carb so you can get a rough idea of the fuel level in the bowl. Could be float adjustment, needle seat sticking. Try running it this way, could tell you if the fuel valve is gummed up if the fuel level cant keep up with the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the boot has very minor cracks but I took it off and checked it closely it is not leaking, the bike is obviously running rich because it is carbon fouling the plugs. is it not getting enough oil? it smokes a bit when running with rough idle. when throttle is touched it bogs and misfires and dies. im just puzzled because it was working just fine last time I had used it I would understand if it would of been a dirty carb but I have now cleaned it twice

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
You removed and cleaned both main and pilot Jet? to check the bot, spray carb cleaner on it while its running, if engine speeds up or slows down, its suckin air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts