Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was riding today it started making a funny noise and died well i hopped off took a look and the plug had came out well i put it back in fired it up still makin the funny noise and idled up way too high tried adjusting the carb no change got in gear took off went 100 yards lost compression i thought i blew it up looked again plug was still in but the stud bolts that hold the jug on on the right side are gone so i have no clue what to do now...i dont know anything about a 2stroke motor if i rebuild how do i time it?

·
Registered
527 Posts
The studs are gone or just the nuts that hold it down? This was a common thing on these but I have had real good luck fixing the problem over the years. Did it wreck the cylinder at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just the nuts came off the 2 on the right side are missing left 2 are loose i put some nuts back on it and snugged it down it fired right up the jug didnt move enough to mess it up i hope

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
That's cool!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would really think about replacing the base gasket. With the cylinder off I would remove the cylinder studs from the case and clean both the stud and the threads in the case. Next I apply red Loctite to the stud and reinstall in the case. Then after putting the cylinder back on I would Loctite the nuts down on the cylinder studs. Do not go by Polaris torque specs I use a 8 inch box end wrench and pretty much torque it down as hard as I can, this keeps them from coming loose all the time. You can also just re torque them every couple of months if you like. You got very lucky you did not break the ears of the cylinder off and destroy the motor. You may also want to check the motor mount below the exhaust and make sure everything is in good shape.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did loctite it all down with the red and i used a wrench to torque it down it seems like it runs better now than when i got it more power for sure

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks alot for your help....you dont happen to know where a good snowmobile engine is i can transplant to this thing do ya?im in a hot climate so we dont have snowmobiles down here in louisiana

·
Registered
527 Posts
Now your talking! What size motor do you want? Would you like a Twin or a Triple cylinder. How much horsepower would you like? I have access to all kinds of snowmobile motors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the biggest one i can put on without to much frame work and the most horse power i can get its all chain drive in there so im sure itll be some limitation to what i can get in there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh heck yeah 80 to 155 hp yessir i need that in my life lol it would be a brute killer for sure for that case it would be a banshee killer hook me up...i assume ill be needing the wiring and electronics to beable to run it and ill have to do some wiring of my own for my 4x4 hubs and lights i would guess

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats no problem at all the lights and 4x4 are pretty basic....just let me know what you can get me and what its gonna cost for it and to ship it down here every thing that im gonna need to do it if i have to make my own mounts thats not a problem either i just want everything all at once to make the swap so when i get started i can finish it without delay im the kind of person that wont stop working on it till have it fired off then ill do all the little stuff and tune it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts