Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called my dealer to just see what he was getting for an oil and filter change. Sounds like all he carries is the gold plated filters, and the black gold oil. He is getting 89.00 for the labor and 130-140.00 with the oil and filter..whewwww:aargh4:

Now, my manual says use 2W-50 Syn. but doesn't tell me a cross ref. for the filter. Help me out here everyone.

2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS Limited Edition

Thanks

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The upgraded spec is 5w50 full syn, i run Quaker State 5w50.

Others should chime in with filter numbers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil

Thanks, I always wondered why they upgrade like that, and then never tell you about it.??

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ugh this has been gone over soooo many times!

0-40 Mobil 1
Use a wix/purolater/bosch filter

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
No matter how many times the oil change question is asked it still is a good question, most on here use the 5/50 syn oil with an after market filter, don't know the number of the filter but others will chime in.

·
Registered
434 Posts
wasnt it found out that the 50w oil brakes down to quikley and 40 was better??

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I see your in WI..... I MN here.

Since we in the Midwest see more of the extreme low temps, mid temp range and nothing much over 85-90°F, I've chosen to run Mobil 1 0W40 and a Purolator 3.5" filter (# __14610). Both can be had at WallyMart for less than $30-35 and change. If you pick up the 5 qrt jug and 2 filter your set for the next 2 oil changes.... for me that's about a years worth or more on the hour meter, but I'll usually change it with the seasons @ Fall (snow plowing) and Spring (Riding).

The oil change itself is easy as pie to perform.... "If" you take your time it's maybe a 30 minute process (with prep and clean-up), and good "bonding time" with your machine. Good time to lube all zerks, look things over and inspect all is okay!

Hello & Welcome :wave: By the way!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Pure One 14610 or 14612. One is shorter than the other and on my 550 I use the shorter one so it doesn't hang out as much. I use Mobile 1 0W40 and it can all be found at Wal Mart for a 20 dollar bill. As much as POPO charges for oil and filters there should be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow right Bob.LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to "almost" everyone, especially Must Be Nice for going into such detail. Sorry, about asking a reduntant question, but for us newbies, it sure is great to have other ATV folks, helping us. We appreciate it! Someone just told me about a website called partshark.com that also has lots of stuff to check out.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks to "almost" everyone, especially Must Be Nice for going into such detail. Sorry, about asking a reduntant question, but for us newbies, it sure is great to have other ATV folks, helping us. We appreciate it! Someone just told me about a website called partshark.com that also has lots of stuff to check out.
Welcome aboard. Never be afraid to ask. I did not list filter numbers, becayse I did not want to list the wrong ones.

If you are a walmart shopper, they should have Puralator and Bosch filters.

I pay just under $11/L for QS 5W50, others have run Rotella T5W40 with Success. That can be bought by the Jug in Walmart also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Will! It's amazing that the dealer is telling me that I need to change my oil when I only have 4 hours on the machine. He said that it also goes by time, ie: 1 month, and I said, well the atv was sitting on your floor for more than one month, so did you change the oil. I said the oil is just fine, yet after only 4 hours of use considering that you are using synthetic anyways. In a perfect world, the oil would be changed using a condition based instead of a time based format. Viscosity would be checked and the amount of sediment etc.... would determine the actual oil change needed. He agreed!
Anyways, once again, thank you all for some great information. The wife and I are enjoying the ATV and now she wants her own! I knew that was coming, the first time I saw her ride mine and grinning from ear to ear. She even said we could put off the kitchen remodel, so she can get one next year..

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks Will! It's amazing that the dealer is telling me that I need to change my oil when I only have 4 hours on the machine. He said that it also goes by time, ie: 1 month, and I said, well the atv was sitting on your floor for more than one month, so did you change the oil. I said the oil is just fine, yet after only 4 hours of use considering that you are using synthetic anyways. In a perfect world, the oil would be changed using a condition based instead of a time based format. Viscosity would be checked and the amount of sediment etc.... would determine the actual oil change needed. He agreed!
Anyways, once again, thank you all for some great information. The wife and I are enjoying the ATV and now she wants her own! I knew that was coming, the first time I saw her ride mine and grinning from ear to ear. She even said we could put off the kitchen remodel, so she can get one next year..
You have an awesome wife!

20-25 hours on the first change. Do the services yourself, I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts