Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i am wondering if i can use caterpillar synthetic diesel engine oil 0w-40 in my 2007 polaris sportsman 450. i am only asking because a friend gave me 30 liters and i already have it in my garage. the way i see, it should work fine its a synthetic 0w-40 oil. i know diesel engine oils do have additives and detergents that clean th engine crankcase due to the higher soot levels produced in those engines. caterpillar doesnt make the oil, it is made by imperial, labeled as caterpillar though, so techniclly its mobil1 synthetic 0w -40 for diesel.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
hello all, i am wondering if i can use caterpillar synthetic diesel engine oil 0w-40 in my 2007 polaris sportsman 450. i am only asking because a friend gave me 30 liters and i already have it in my garage. the way i see, it should work fine its a synthetic 0w-40 oil. i know diesel engine oils do have additives and detergents that clean th engine crankcase due to the higher soot levels produced in those engines. caterpillar doesnt make the oil, it is made by imperial, labeled as caterpillar though, so techniclly its mobil1 synthetic 0w -40 for diesel.
Does it have an "SJ " type rating on the back? No, it is not M1 0W40 synthetic because Cat had a higher spec that M1, and also Higher standards than M1 uses. It is a better quality oil. M1 has turned in to a cheap walmart type oil.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You will be fine! I switched to Shell Rotella T-6 a couple of weeks ago, and noticed a reduction in engine noise immediately. It's a 5w40 oil, and in my gf's quad, pumps op to the lifters about twice as fast as the stock polaris oil. Your 0w oil, should be even quicker to get thru the lube system in the cold.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You will be fine! I switched to Shell Rotella T-6 a couple of weeks ago, and noticed a reduction in engine noise immediately. It's a 5w40 oil, and in my gf's quad, pumps op to the lifters about twice as fast as the stock polaris oil. Your 0w oil, should be even quicker to get thru the lube system in the cold.

Great to hear!! Are you using the quad during the winter? T6 would be nice to use, easier to find also. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would research this more before using it. As you said it has different additives than an oil meant for gasoline engines. I would send an email to one of the oil manufactures regarding this question.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes williambos, I'm using it this winter to plow snow, And do the occasional run thru the trails. We hit -15'c during hunting, and never heard anything abnormal..

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just looked at a jug of Rotella 5 OW40 and it has an SJ rating. Pictures show it is recommended for Trucks, Tractors, Construction Equipment, and it shows a small pick-up. It is meant for extreme temperatures. A few weeks ago I called a Shell Hot Line and asked if it was good for a Polaris ATV. The guy on the other end looked it up and his answer was that Polaris only recommends their own oil. Whood a thunk. If you call Shell I hope you do not get the same dummie I got.

·
Registered
426 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts