Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, my name is Mark and I am stationed at Ft Rucker AL for flight school. I picked up a new 07 sportsman 700 efi after my last deployment and have done all modifications myself.

here are the mods I can remember:
k&n filter
3 headlight (all three lights on with hi beam)
Fan-on light/switch
Temp gauge
Reverse override switch
Auto reverse light
Work light switch
Highlifter 2" lift
12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks
28" Highlifter Outlaws
Polaris heavy duty front and rear bumpers
Warn 4000lb winch w/ wireless remote
Brake lever powdercoated semigloss black
Custom snorkel kit

Here are some pics:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Look at all that red stuff!

·
Registered
563 Posts
That looks good.Where did you get the snorkels?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! How does Lowe's sound for an answer? haha. Seriously though, I wasn't happy with any kits I found online and I wanted to keep the front storage bin usable without the need for some massive fabrication. After many hours of brainstorming, I came up with this setup. I didn't want to compromise functionality but I wanted it to be asthetically pleasing, and it looking bad a$$ (in my opinion) is just icing on the cake. :D Turned out better than I expected and have gotten many compliments about it!!

I needed 2 stacks on the left for the intake/exhaust vents on the clutch, and to make it look right I doubled up on the engine intake on the right side. I capped off the airbox cover and also rerouted all breather lines (front/rear diff, t-case) to one of the clutch vent stacks. Also, since the coolant reservoir has a breather hole, I drilled it and tapped a breather line in and routed it to the same clutch vent as the other breather lines. I ran the stacks all the way to the back of the rack so my swinging legs wouldn't knock in to them all the time. The final feature is that all four stacks are removable in case I'm going to be operating in an area with low clearance, and they can all be easily strapped down and taken with so you're never stuck leaving the stacks at camp...

I noticed that the weak area was not the stacks themselves, but actually the seal on the clutch cover. After putting a nice thick bead of silicon on the cover and also on the threads of the drain plug, I haven't had anymore water in the clutch (and I've parked in water covering the clutch).

The downside:
- not a whole lot cheaper than a kit online...due to all the pvc parts n pieces
- if you're running large wheels/tires on stock suspension there can be some rubbing when the suspension collapses (ie, someone sitting on the back) but that is easily fixed with a 2" (or more) lift. I'm running 28s w/ 2" lift and there is no more rubbing (even with a pass.) and I haven't adjusted the stiffness away from stock...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Some of the members may have some questions about that snorkel setup.It looks better than the front exit snorkels IMO and it looks like you still have room for a small cooler or a gas can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ask away!

I agree with you about the front exit snorkels. Some say that snorkels are more effective in the front because you walk the quad on the rear wheels in super deep water... Well, I'd have to disagree. You only walk on the rear wheels if you want to, and my rear stacks are a lot higher than a typical front exit set up. I think the thing that started front exit snorkels is the fact they are super easy and simple to do (unless you have a front tray cubby and want to maintain it's functionality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts