Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was changing the oil. i took the drain plug off (and it was super tight) to drain the oil. changed the filter out and put the drain plug back in and it wouldn't tighten up. IT IS STRIPPED!!!! has anyone else had that happen to them???:wtf:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've heard of 700 Yamaha's doing that on the first oil change but your the first XP 850 i've heard of. Let us know how you fix it and good luck!!...TOM

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes first oil change and it is still in 6 month warranty. i will keep you posted. taking it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
polaris warrentied the whole thing. service manager told me they put a heli coil in it. all fixed.:biggthumpup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
what I'm guessing happened, was that the oil plug is steel and the case's are aluminum, dissimeler metal contact has occurred, they corroded together, i see this a lot if you over torque the lug nuts with aluminum rims.
apply oil or some other lube/ anti-seize compound to the threads next time you have it off.
although the heli-coil should be steel.
Rick

·
Registered
163 Posts
How will they get all of the aluminum chips out the inside of the engine after they drill and tap it for the helicoil??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very same thing happened to me tonight on my first oil change! Used a torque wrench, the threads stripped out before even reaching 15 ft lbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you tap/heli coil a pan you put a lot of grease on the tool, go slow and the shavings stay on the tool suspended in the grease...

Flush and your good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just joined the "Stripped Drain Hole" club today. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
877 Posts
im starting to get scared of changing my oil

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just took mine into the shop and told them about all the people having this issue. They said they will call Polaris but said they can't believe that it would be covered under warranty.

Either way I guess I will feel better knowing the shop fixed it so I can't be blamed for additional damage. I still cannot see how I did this following their manual.

Will not like to see the bill on this one. UGH! So much for a good weekend of maintenance and being proactive.

BTW, they recommended not using the heli-coil as you will frequently be loosening and tightening on it. They recommended a piggy-back plug. I imagine that is what they will put on mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts