Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying new tires and rims (Sold my Mudlites). I've narrowed it down to either 28x9x14 & 28x11x14 Zillas or 27x9x14 & 27x11x14 Mega Mayhems? There going on MSA M12 rims (14"). I realize that the Zilla are lighter? Does anyone have any experience with these tire? Really would like some feed back. Please. I also do about 70% trail & 30% mud if that helps any? There going on a 2007 Sportsman 800 basically stock, slip on Mudslinger muffler and K&N filter are the only mods so far. Thank you

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Both tires are light, and BOTH run short. If you pick the mega mayhems, I would suggest going with the 28's also as they run very short. Both tires in 28's will barely measure 27" (from what I have read/heard)

My vote would be for the mayhems. Larger lugs will probably last longer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I loved my mega mayhems. over 500 miles of mud rock and hard pack and they didnt wear any. Pull really well in the mud. They do decent in the sand. The zilla will be lighter. If the mayhem has a flat you can still ride cause the sidewall is pretty stiff. I had 27's on my foreman but never measured them. My friend had 28's on his brute and he was happy with them as well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
^X2. I have the 28" Mayhems and they perform real well on the trails. Stiff side wall so they don't feel as sloppy as my Swamplites did.

Don't have experience with the Zillas but herd they are soft.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. The Zilla's will be lighter. The Mahems will have deeper lugs. With your 800 I wouldn't worry about the weight difference and get the Mahems.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
double post

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^X2. I have the 28" Mayhems and they perform real well on the trails. Stiff side wall so they don't feel as sloppy as my Swamplites did.

How tall do your mayhems run?

·
Registered
399 Posts

How tall do your mayhems run?
Short, just over 27" with 7 psi.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I think for 70% trail you're going to be rattling out your fillings with either tire. I'd look at something a little less aggressive if it was me. The Zillas are very light though, so going bigger they will kill power the least of the 2 you are looking at.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with Ridinagain both tires will be a little aggressive for the riding u do. That's the type of riding I do also I run 27" mud lite Xtr they mesure close to 27" there really good all around tire a good trail tire that does ok in the mud also, as for the meyhems they will run a inch short there good tires but there tuned towards mud than trail the zilla is a little less aggressive much lighter but there also geared towards mud more than trail, something like the Xtr, gbc Spartacus or something of that caliber is a good medium

·
Registered
218 Posts
70% trail consider some radials. I was once a big Zilla fan until I discovered the Bear Claw Htr's. HTR's for my riding not mud, are a more aggressive radial that do good in mud, compared to many radials like the popular BH. Not a soft cushy ride like the bulging side wall BH, but with the stiff sidewall and 8 ply they handle much better and make for less effort especially on the long trail rides I do.
Side note I like the 9" wide tire on all 4's. Some don't like the look but for me I'm liking the performance and this goes for many XC racers who are running 9" wide all around. I noticed the new Scrambler 1000 race photo (Parker 250) posted they ran Ceros Maxxis tires in 9" also.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I also am very impressed and satisfied with my Bear Claws

1 - 12 of 12 Posts