Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have looked at the Zillas now for a bit and read reviews and posts. I'm thinking on changing out tires to ones that can handle the Oklahoma clay mud a little better than the Artrax tires I have on there now. The Artrax have done well in everything else I put them in but can ball up in sticky mud, which is to be expected. My concern with the Zillas is that they are way lighter than every 6 ply tire I have looked at which concerns me. I do ride trails with jagged rocks and roots and down on the river, and who knows what's under the water. My thought is it is either that the plys are thinner or they are making the sidewalls way thinner to save the weight. I've heard complaints of people not liking how they tend to roll in cornering at higher speeds. I take this as thinner sidewalls. I don't want to get these tires and the terrain here end up chewing them up. We are also looking to get out to Arkansas and SE Oklahoma to do some riding there as well. Right now we ride on the Canadian river (sand and mud), Cross Bar Ranch (lots of rocks) and Hynretta (rocks and roots) out in Eastern OK just for an idea of the types of riding.

Few others I've had my eye on as well if I do switch. Won't do Bighorns or any variation, since it's not much difference in the type of tire I run now.

Bearclaw HTRs (lots of peoples recommendation and favorite)
GBC Grim Reapers and Spartacus
STI Black Diamonds

·
Registered
244 Posts
Zillas are a good tire, not the toughest though. Every tire is a compromise. I run 30" Mudzillas on my AC 500, maybe only a fair tire, they are heavy as hell, and far from the best mud tire, but they are hell for tough! I ride a lot of sharp rocky trails, now with 2,000 hard miles, they literally still look new. I would say, from what my friends who own Zillas, they really like em, but they don't ride where I do, so..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't have experience with the Zillas. Have heard a lot of positive reviews. Not sure you could go wrong there. I ride in Eastern Tennessee. A lot of sharp rock ad rough trails. Decided to go the 8-ply route. It will add some weight so that may deter you. I run the Bear Claw HTR, has been a great tire, couldn't be happier. Next choice would have been the GBC Grim Reapers, tons of positive reviews. Buddy picked up a set of ITP Blackwater Evolutions last year, he loves them. Haven't looked into many reviews on them just seem them in action but I think they are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the feed back guys. I hear a lot of positive reviews on Zillas, but haven't really seen too many that ride really rocky trails it seems. Granted, I have only been doing the ATV thing for a little over a year and I only ride the local stuff here in Oklahoma, I don't know a lot of the trails that people discuss on here so I really have no idea how rough they are. Seems lots like to go out and do the Hatfield and McCoy trail. But again, I don't know how rough that trail is compared to some place like cross bar which in my opinion is a rough and long trail with several creek crossings and lots of rock. Its claimed its fair share of tires from what I've heard. I've only ridden it a couple of times. I upgraded to a 6 ply tire after the first time I rode it. Been waiting on my friends to up grade now. Hopefully be out on it again soon. The tires I have now work fine with the exception of mud. Soupy stuff that I can get a good grip on the bottom isn't an issue as long as I don't high center in a rut, but if it is sticky, the tires ball up, especially the fronts. Tread is too close together on the fronts. Rears have decent gap between lugs. But I do have a winch and so does my buddy so we don't end up stranded.

I posted a few pics. Its that usual ongoing saga of trying to find that balance of a good tire for all conditions. The one with the lighter rocks is cross bar. I though I had some better pics of the rocky climbs, but I can't find them. The other is out in eastern Ok. Really shows the difference in the rocks. Cross bar is a little more jagged where the ones with the ACE in it are smoother and much less jagged.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Going by your description of where you ride and the pictures you provided I would tell you to go a different route. I don't think you go through enough nasty mud to recommend the Zillas for you. I personally run a set on my machine, but only when I know for sure I will be in decent mud. I run my BH knock offs otherwise (yes I run 2 different sets of tires depending on where I go riding).

If I had to run on your terrain I would definitely look into the Bearclaws (I believe those are the 8 ply). I can tell you just from short little jaunts on pavement that the big lugs on the Zillas will wear quickly on rocky terrain (at least a lot faster than in muddy terrain).

I love my Zillas and they have not let me down as of yet, but I just think a different tire would suit you better.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have thought about some 30 Zilla's too for more mudding situations, but judging by the terrain, I agree with the 8 ply radials, or I will throw this out there, I have loved my ITP Mudlight XTR, only a 6 ply, but a radial and they have a nice aggressive tread pattern and my fronts have over 6000 miles and backs around 3000 (sliced the sidewall and had to get new backs a couple years back) But they have held up very well..

But as far as figuring out what tires to get you might as well bang your head against the wall, everyone has their favorites, LOL, but they are not cheap and you know you have to live with your decision for a long time.... Good Luck...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the input, I thought about running two sets of tires but I think that will be more effort than its worth in the long run. Unless I decide to run two sets at some point I've scratched Zillas off the list. However I have added another candidate to the list, the Pitbull Growler BG2.5

·
Registered
30 Posts
No experience with the Pitbull Growler BG2.5 but I have heard they are very tough for a 6-ply tire. May be because they are heavy as crap. 27" will add about 56 lbs to your stock set-up. If I remember correctly they are pretty expensive too, $150-160 per tire. I hope you narrow it down. Unless you are loaded, It is a hard decision to make because you will be living with it for a while. From the pictures you posted I would be seriously considering an 8-ply tire. Of course that also depends on your riding style. If you bust down those rocky trails like a raped ape it would be a no brainier. If you meticulously work your way through a 6-ply may be all you ever need. Don't sweat it too much, the Artrax tires you are running now are 6-ply and from you op it sounds like they hold up to the rocks just not great in the mud. Look for something with a larger tread, maybe a little more tread separation to make them easier to clean out. Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1 for the Mudlite XTRs as an all around tire. I've never had them ball up in sticky mud. They ride well since they are a radial. I've only had 1 flat. I came out of a creek with a 6 inch, dagger shaped piece of shale that would have gone through any tire. There are better mud tires, but like others have said, everything is a compromise. Though I've been happy with my XTRs, I'm considering mega mayhems for my next tires.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Aknawful, were your mudlites the regular ones or the XTRs? It seems that everyone that hated them or called them "pluglites" had the regular ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts