Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did anyone find the fix to this? I have a 2016 sportsman 110 that will not idle after its warm. Ive checked the valves, changed the plug and replaced the battery. One thing I did notice is that it will start intermittently if I spray some starting fluid in the airbox. We recently removed the governor and that seemed to bring on the problems. TIA!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
What is the 'governor'? The throttle stop screw? Have you tried adjusting the throttle cable? Throttle cable adjustment procedure is detailed below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The governor is a "jumper" under the seat and only allows the atv to go 15 mph and then 29 when removed. Yes I tried to adjust the cable, it didn't change anything..
Also, I will add, I did not purchase it new. ive had it for about 2 years and my son rides it pretty regular. I have used regular 87 gas in it, until about 3 weeks ago it ran fine. It almost acts like its starving for fuel but I am not sure how that's possible with EFI, I am no expert for sure....

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Fuel pump failure is the most common problem with EFI - I just put a new fuel pump on my Merc Grand Marquis with less than 50,000 miles - my Dodge Dakota RT with 105,000 miles and my F150 with more 200,000 miles are still running with the original fuel pump.

Fuel pressure should be 39-45 psi - check the pressure

A new pump from Polaris (part number 0455194) is $395 - the Quantum T35 fuel pump is a replacement option at $70

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fuel pump failure is the most common problem with EFI - I just put a new fuel pump on my Merc Grand Marquis with less than 50,000 miles - my Dodge Dakota RT with 105,000 miles and my F150 with more 200,000 miles are still running with the original fuel pump.

Fuel pressure should be 39-45 psi - check the pressure

A new pump from Polaris (part number 0455194) is $395 - the Quantum T35 fuel pump is a replacement option at $70
Replaced the fuel pump. It ran well for about 30 minutes. Turned it off for a few, now it won’t start again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Weak starter, shredded gears, randomly cuts off ( I rekon when it gets too hot) All the same issues ya'll have. We've had it since new for Christmas 2017 (it's a 2016 model) The neighbor's cheap chinese machines have extremely better up time. Hardly a problem with those and he got two of the cheaper than my "brand name" one. I'm on the golf cart towing him back from the trails just about every time he rides it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I have the same issue; my Sportsman 110 will not start, idle, and runs like crap. I can make it start by pinning the throttle. The machine will sometimes idle after riding full throttle for a while, but will soon go back to the same case.

After a couple of tries of removing wires to sensors and vacuum hoses one at a time. I removed the hose from the “Idle Air Valve” and the wheeler starts, idles, and has full power. At idle if I play with the air going to the intake basically being the “air valve”...I can get the machine to idle very smoothly. I can also control very smooth to full throttle just using my finger to control the air flow.

I measured the resistance on the air valve and have 26 ohms, this seems reasonable. I measured the voltage to the air valve and it’s a pulse controlled voltage, and can see the valve is opening and closing.

So the good news is I was able to make the machine idle but the bad news is that I still don’t know what bad part I need to replace. I was curious if anyone has noticed this very thing “air-valve” and if they found out what part to replace to fix the issue?

I will order a new air-valve $60, but I have a feeling that it won’t fix the issue. If it does I will let this chat know.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts